Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mini Strawberry Jam Turnovers


Today's recipe is one that I wanted to try for Christmas baking, but never got around to it.  The other night I made another chicken pot pie and after neatly trimming the edges, I had leftover pie crust.  I don't like waste, so I formed the dough into a disk, wrapped it in plastic wrap and refrigerated until I could find a use. 

The original recipe called for 2 pie crusts, (yielding 3 dozen) rolled out, using a 3 inch fluted cookie cutter for the "turnovers".  I only had remnants of pie crust so the yield was greatly reduced, but just enough for a snack.  I wanted to try them, anyway.  Maybe for an Easter treat!  The filling I used was a simple strawberry jam, but the possibilities are endless.  I'm thinking nutella, orange marmalade, etc.  The only problem was that they were so tasty, I wanted more!  The following is the "lite" version.

Ingredients:

1 pie crust, either store bought or made with your favorite recipe

about 1/3 cup strawberry jam, or your choice of filling

flour for dusting while rolling

powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375.  On a floured surface, roll out the dough until you achieve 1/8 inch thickness.  Use a 2-3 inch fluted round cutter, making as many as you can.  Reroll the scraps and repeat, making more.  Place each round onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Top each round with your filling (1/2 tsp), moisten outer edge with water and fold over, pressing to seal.  Bake until golden, about 20 minutes or so.  Cool and then dust with powdered sugar.  Voila! 

2 comments: