Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Roasted Honey Red Onions


If you're looking for that perfect accompaniment for a roast, sandwich, soup or pasta, try this.  I found it on the food network while searching for ways to enhance a prime rib roast.  Not that it needs any help, but I wanted my prime rib roast to be "special" for the Christmas dinner.  This is where Tyler Florence came to the rescue.

After gathering up all the ingredients, I realized most were already in my pantry.  What luck!  I observed a few raised eyebrows  when I began to prepare the onion side dish.  All I could say was "trust me".  Roasting vegetables is one of my favorite ways to prepare them.  The flavors are intensified, much better than steaming or microwaving.  And how can any vegetable taste bad smothered in butter and honey?

Ingredients:

6 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (I used pomegranate infused)

1/2 cup honey

several stocks of fresh thyme, leaves removed

salt and pepper

3 - 4 red onions, halved and some quartered (I used 3, but they were quite large)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a saucepan, combine the butter, vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper, on medium heat.  Bring to a quick boil and then reduce after simmering for a minute.  Have the cut up onions ready in a baking dish (single layer).  Drizzle the butter honey mixture over the onions and roast until caramelized, about 45 - 50 minutes, basting throughout the roasting time.   Delicious!   I had leftovers that went into prime rib/avocado sandwiches and my shepherd's pie from a previous post.

Thanks, Tyler Florence, your prime rib roast and side dishes rocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment