Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Italian Chicken Sausage Soup


I never thought I would look forward to a meal like this but it's been a long time coming.  This week I'm slowly adding foods back into my diet.  Beans are one of them and so is chicken (healthy) sausage.   I 've made a version of this in the past but one of the ingredients is white wine.  I know most of it "cooks off" but I didn't want to chance it.  FACT: Wine is proven to make me gain weight. 

The recipe I created contains ALL foods I can eat at this point.  And still lose weight or at least inches.  It tasted amazing, especially when it's 40 degrees outside!

Ingredients:

about 5 chicken Italian sausages, cut into bite size pieces

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 Tbsp olive oil

4-5 Roma tomatoes cut up

2 cans cannellini  (white) beans, rinsed well

1 large handful or about 1-2 cups arugula (or you can use spinach or chard)

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup water

1 handful chopped fresh basil

In a large soup pot brown the sausage in the oil.  Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.  Then, add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and turn down the heat to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Serve with grated cheese or plain.   Healthy, filling and extremely easy! ...serves 4 adequate servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment