Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Are You Ready for Thanksgiving?


Are you ready to give thanks?  I am...I have much to be thankful for this time of year and actually every day of the year.  I have my wonderful family, friends, and my health!  It's not all about "the turkey" or the shopping experience on black Friday, which I'm proud to say I've NEVER  participated in!

This year we go to Grandma and Grandpa's home for the Thanksgiving meal.  I would have liked to have it here (with my new kitchen remodel, and all), but it's easier for everyone to come together at my mom and dad's.  Besides, I don't want anything to happen to the stuffing making process!   My dad does it right!  In my world, it's the best.  In my husband's mind, his mom's stuffing is the best..that's what he grew up with. 

For our first Thanksgiving as newlyweds, I called his mother to get the "recipe" for this stuffing.  I wanted to carry on his traditional stuffing recipe.   Let's just say , it was a major fiasco!  (It's definitely a story for the book.)  I still have those instructions on an index card!

My "task" is to make the mashed potatoes, maybe some rolls and the appetizers.  I'll probably be fixing pears with caramelized onions on puff pastry sprinkled with a bit of fontina cheese.  It's simple but tastes as though you've spent alot of time in the kitchen...NOT!  Whatever you decide to make, enjoy the moments and the people that God has put into your life, for a reason, and by all means, you should start with the pumpkin pie!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This is a remake appetizer with a few "twists" in the future!

Ingredients:

2 T butter

1 c onion, thinly sliced
1 pear, peeled and thinly sliced and cut
1 T fresh thyme, minced
1 puff pastry sheet
1/4 - 1/2 cup Parmesan, fontina or Gorgonzola would be good

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Thaw and unwrap pastry.  Cut into 16 squares and then cut again diagonally, making 32 triangles.  Place them on a sheet pan.  In a frying pan, melt the butter and add the onions.   Cook until caramelized or barely browned.  Add the cut up pears and half of the thyme.  Cook for about 10 more minutes.  Set aside to cool a bit.   Spoon a small amount of pear/onion mixture onto each triangle.  Sprinkle with remaining thyme and cheese.  Bake for around 15-20 minutes.  Cool slightly and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment