Monday, November 22, 2010

Spicy Italian Sausage, Bean and Spinach Soup


The title says it all! If you're looking for the easiest homemade soup for those cold nights this is the best! Yesterday, as the snow was flying I thought it was best to make a nice pot of soup. This week the temperatures are forecasted to reach a whopping 28 degrees as the high. Hopefully, this soup will warm my soul as well as my body. I was just getting used to the balmy beach weather of Costa Rica and now this!


I've been making this recipe for my family since 1998, so it has stood the test of time. And did I tell you it takes about 25 minutes from start to finish. If you are one of those culinary challenged individuals, you can make this soup too!


Ingredients:


4 hot or mild Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped

2 19 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

2 cups chopped fresh spinach

1 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium

1/4 c white wine

1 tsp thyme


In a large pot cook the sausage and onion for about 7 minutes , stirring often. Add the beans, spinach, broth, wine and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan if you wish, along with some fresh crusty bread. I like to add a litle more heat with red pepper flakes, too Makes about 4 servings. I told you it was simple!!

No comments:

Post a Comment