Tuesday, November 2, 2010

First Time Spring Rolls


I love all cuisines. Mexican, Italian, Chinese, French and the list goes on! I especially like Thai food but my hubby has never been too keen on it. There was a time when my son and I would go out to lunch and there would never be a question as to what type of food it would be. Of course, Thai! One time while looking at the extensive menu I ordered spring rolls. When they were brought to the table I'm sure my expression was "Hmm, did I order those?" There must be some mistake. I was expecting egg rolls, fried and greasy. What appeared before me were transparent veggie filled healthy rolls!


With all the many slim down plans I've been on over the years, I've found some great substitutions for my favorites without sacrificing too much flavor. I do love egg rolls, however, I am slowly developing a taste for the lighter version, spring rolls. It's a no brainer for me. I can easily eat 4 spring rolls to one egg roll, calorically speaking, and not feel the guilt!
While a good amount of prep work goes into this recipe, the actual rolling process goes quickly. It is worth it. You can choose your filling and dipping sauces. You can make these ahead of time so they would be great for entertaining!


I recommend that you do all prep work first and put each ingredient into small ramekin type bowls. This just speeds the process.


Ingredients:

1 c rice vermicelli, cooked, drained and chopped

8 rice wrappers

8 large shrimp, cooked and cut in half lengthwise

1/4 c basil, regular or Thai

1 c grated carrots (I used a potato peeler)

1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced and cut into 1-2 inch lengths

1/2 c cilantro, chopped

3/4 c lettuce, thinly sliced and chopped

Boil the vermicelli for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside. Place very warm water into a large glass pie plate. Dip one wrapper at a time to soften. Place on flat surface and fill the middle area with 2 pieces of shrimp, rice vermicelli, basil, carrots, onions and cilantro. Now, the fun part is wrapping them up. This takes practice. Roll each side over then roll up. Repeat the process. Makes about 8 rolls at 4 inches long. Dip in either Plum sauce or Thai sweet chili sauce or both. Not bad for my first try and I will be making more of these!

2 comments:

  1. They look very professional. I love spring rolls too. I like them with sweet and sour sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katerina. They we're fun to make, too.

    ReplyDelete