Monday, October 25, 2010

Lavender Nut Pancakes




If you read yesterday's entry this is a continuation or Part II. Not only do I love lavender in my pancakes, I love the relaxing moments the plant brings. Lavender has it's roots in Spain, France and Italy. It is from the mint family so it resows itself readily. Just give it some dry sandy soil and it will usually grow. It has antiseptic properties and has been used in soaps and to clean floors! Sleep comes easier when you rub your temples with lavender essential oil or take a warm bath with bath salts. I use linen spray starch for my husband's shirts while ironing. (It lessens the burden of ironing!) It smells so good!


I'm just learning more about the culinary possibilities of the lavender plant. I like to use herbs de Provence ( lavender is one ingredient) in recipes. It's great in soups, as a rub for meats and now for pancakes! Even though I have many plants in my yard I chose to buy some culinary herb from the market.


I've used this pancake recipe for over 30 years. Or you can simply use any store bought pancake mix. I think they just taste better from scratch.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 flour

2 T sugar

2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1 egg, beaten

1 1/3 c milk

3 T canola or vegetable oil


Mix all of the above ingredients first. If you want thicker pancakes only use 1 c milk. Add 2 T lavender and 2 T chopped nuts. Pecans or walnuts are a good choice. Heat a griddle or skillet until a drop of water sizzles on the surface. Brush with oil or pan spray. Pour the batter in pan making a few at a time. Turn them when they begin to bubble and the ends are dry. Serve with butter and maple syrup. Makes about 10 4-inch pancakes.

Warning: You may want to take a nap after these you'll be so calm!

1 comment:

  1. Now that's an ingredient I want to try desperately. I am sure these pancakes were awesome.

    ReplyDelete