Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Frittata - A Healthy Twist


The first time I ever tried a frittata I thought, "well this is just some veggies and eggs!" My mother-in-law made it for us many years ago. I liked it then and I like it now. The nice thing about frittatas is that you can serve it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. You can also choose your veggies like an omelet! It's good warm or cold. As a matter of fact many Italians will pack a wedge of frittata in their lunches. I can buy into that! Also, if you ever have any leftovers, you can make a sandwich out of it. Maybe you can trick your kids into eating their veggies!

I normally prepare my frittatas with a little more cheese and some half and half for a richer taste and a fluffier consistency. But in keeping with healthier eating I made some substitutions. It still turned out nicely.

It's very important to start with a large non-stick skillet. Add 1-2 T of olive oil. Then add what ever type of veggies you like. You can't really mess this up. I chose:

2 c red bell peppers and green (Anaheim type) peppers combined
1/2 c chopped yellow onion
1 c pre-roasted Yukon potatoes, sliced

Saute these for about five minutes. Add spices:

1/2 tsp lemon thyme
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 handful chopped Italian parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Meanwhile I combined 2 large eggs and enough "egg beater" type product to total 1 cup. To this add 2 T milk or half and half, beat well. Add egg mixture to pan with veggies. If you've ever made an omelet the technique is the same. Work the egg underneath from the middle to the sides while lifting the edges until it is still a little runny in the middle. At this point you can add some cheese on top. I chose only 2 T grated parmesan. Put into the broiler on low and keep an eye on it. Cook until just browned on top making sure the egg is done. Remove and cool for about 10 minutes. After cooling time it should slide out of the pan onto a serving plate. (Miracles do happen) Cut into wedges and enjoy! A fancy presentation for basic eggs! Serves 2 but you can easily increase the amounts for a larger version.

1 comment:

  1. Frittata is such a versatile dish and so comforting. You cannot go wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete