Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amaretto Bundt Cake


My amaretto bundt cake should really be called "Ralph's cake". Years ago we visited my husband's Uncle Mike and Aunt Rosie in California. I remember she made a rum cake that was a huge hit with the family. Shortly after I saw a recipe that might work for the holidays. To make it my own though I took out the rum and replaced it with one of my favorite's, Amaretto! The recipe card is probably the "most used" in my file and has become quite the tradition when it comes to a quick, moist and delicious cake.


I guess if you're a "dunker', and you know who you are, it's perfect for that kind of quirkiness. Both my husband and son are dunkers. It must be one of those hereditary traits. I've never understood that, except when it applies to dunking oreos. After they have been split apart and the white filling is eaten, I believe, oreos should be dunked in milk. Not quirky at all.


Although this can be made from scratch I still use a boxed cake mix as a base. Why change a good thing and besides, I was a working women when I acquired this "keeper" of a cake. I still have some butterscotch schnapps in my cupboard so I may try a version of this in the future with butterscotch pudding and liqueur. Sounds good! Until then try this!


Ingredients:

1 8 1/4 oz yellow cake mix

1 3 1/2 oz vanilla instant pudding mix

4 eggs

1/2 c oil (canola or vegetable)

1/2 c cold water

1/2 c amaretto

1 c chopped nuts , I've used almonds, pecans or walnuts.


Combine all ingredients, mix and fold in the nuts. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Add the mixture, bake for 1 hour. Cool and invert onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar. Dunk if you must!

2 comments:

  1. That's a quick one. It is ideal for a weeday night. I am a working mother as well and during the weekday I do not have the luxury of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amaretto is my friends favourite of all time, and I can't wait to suprise her with this on the weekend. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe! - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete