Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Almost Authentic French Cassoulet In 1 Hour



Every once in a while I like to glance at some of the pictures from my travels.  I admit, I sometimes get "sucked into" computer land and after an hour of reliving precious moments in faraway countries like Italy, Mexico or France, I'm no further in my quest to get my blog up to date with some tasty recipes for you.   Recently, I was inspired during this process when I came across the best French cassoulet picture taken in a little hamlet called Mirepoix in France.  Ah, Chez Papes, if only I could make a cassoulet that didn't take days to authenticate!

This is what I came up with, proud of it and I'm sticking to it!  Hope you try it!  It's a "one pot wonder".

French Cassoulet in 1 Hour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 Tbsp olive oil

3 Italian sausages (oops, or French)

4 bella mushrooms, sliced

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

1 (15.5 oz ) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1tsp dried thyme

1 tsp Herb de Provence
i 1/2 cup roasted tomatoes, chopped

3 cloves of garlic, sliced

1/4 cup red wine

1/4 cup broth (I used chicken)

1/3 cup bread crumbs, seasoned can be used

In an oven proof 3 Qt pan add oil and remove sausages from their casings.  Lightly brown while cutting sausage into pieces using a wooden spoon.  Add mushrooms and onions and cook for just a few minutes.    Add the beans, spices, tomatoes, garlic and red wine.  Stir to mix well.  Put into the oven a cook uncovered for about 45 minutes.  If it starts to look dry, add the broth at this time.  Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.  It should look "rustic" looking.


the original French cassoulet

No comments:

Post a Comment