Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ginger Scones



The first time I tried scones I made them from a popular mix you find in the stores.  The results were far from great!  The next time I tried them it was from a local bakery, a grab and go, as my future daughter in-law, at the time, and I drove over the hill to Sacramento for a bridal gown fitting.  Of course, the highlight was having that special time to get to know her better, but, I have to say, that ginger scone was awesome.  Right then and there, it went on my food to bake "bucket list".  A year and a half later, wedding past, I dug up a recipe, made a few substitutions and voila, ginger scones, from scratch.  They don't compare to store bought package ones!

These would be great for a brunch or even a munch item.

Ginger Scones

2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbsp baking powder

2 tsp poppy seeds  (optional) I put them in, but next time I'll omit them.

pinch of salt

1 stick cold butter, diced

1 beaten egg

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup crystallized ginger, cut up

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Cut in the cold butter, add the egg and milk and ginger pieces.  Mix well and form into a 1/2 inch thick disk.  Place on a parchment covered baking sheet.  Score the scones into 8 wedges.  Brush with a bit of milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.  Cool and then slice.  Delicious and so worth making it from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment