Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Nothing Fancy Roman Green Beans



I'm not sure whether I have a severe case of writer's block or melted brain cells from the sweltering heat (above 100 for days).   My culinary skills have not been used lately because of the heat.  Who wants to turn on that oven or stand in front of the barbecue in 100 degree+++ weather?  Not me!   Salads, sandwiches and side dishes are what's "cooking" in my kitchen.  Here's a sampling of those repeat meals just to let you know I haven't left the country during the last week!

Salad, salad, salad
One of my favorites....salmon arugula pizza!

One of those side dishes was a quickly prepared stove top "fancy" green beans.  Why did I name it Roman green beans?  Why not....I Love Rome and it seemed like something you'd find on the menu!  Dare me to go find out!

Fancy Green Beans

Ingredients:

1 package (about 2-3 cups) fresh green beans.  If using the long green beans, cut into 4 inch pieces.

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 of a shallot, thinly sliced

5 mushrooms, sliced

1 Tbsp butter (optional)

2-3 Tbsp chopped prosciutto

handful of chopped fresh parsley

1 Tbsp chopped basil

sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, grated

In a pan of boiling water cook the beans until done.  This takes only a few minutes, you'll want them still crisp.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil on medium heat.  Add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and cook while stirring.  Lower the heat.  Drain the beans and add them to the skillet stirring to coat beans.  Add the butter, prosciutto,  parsley and basil...stir again.  Remove to a serving plate and sprinkle with cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment