Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes for the Weekend Warriors




Yes, last weekend was a working weekend.  From sun up until almost sundown both days were spent in the yard, or more accurately, in the DIRT!  Personally, I love being in the dirt.  There will be more "garden updates", but for starters, we planted 13 lavenders, transplanted a burning bush which the not so wonderful landscapers located directly over the septic tank lids.  And with that finished, hubby began to dig and dig and dig to uncover the lid so the tank could be pumped!  Too much information, icky!

Early March I made a list of things to get accomplished not only in my yard but also, in  my parent' yard.  There will be a wedding reception held there and a few areas need sprucing up.  I started by dividing some of my plants, like daisy and cat mint bushes and moved them to their yard.  Hollyhocks, bee balm and lilies were added.   We have a long way to go but, the "list" will help to keep me focused!  I'm very big on lists!


Time to turn the page!


By the time Sunday evening rolled around we were even too tired to go out to dinner!   Into the "experimental kitchen" I went to make breakfast for dinner.  I hid the cottage cheese container from hubby because that's not one of his favorites.  He's learned to trust me over the year, I guess, since there was no outcry from the galley when cottage cheese was casually mentioned.  These were pretty tasty, but I'll still tweak them a bit to make them healthier!  That's what I do!

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Yields about 8 large or 16 small pancakes

2 eggs

1 egg white or equivalent of egg beater product

1 cup smaller curd fat free or low fat cottage cheese

1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbsp honey

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Whisk all the above ingredients.  In another bowl add the following:

1/2 or3/4 cup (thicker batter) flour

1/2 cup oatmeal (quick)

1 tsp baking powder

dash of salt

Now add the flour/oatmeal  mix into the egg mixture, stirring well.  Heat a griddle or large pan until a drop of water "bounces" on the surface.  Spray griddle with butter or oil spray.  Spoon batter and cook on first side for about 2-3 minutes until they bubble.  Turn and cook for additional 2 minutes.  Serve with maple syrup  and bananas.  HMMM good!    I had ginger syrup lurking in my pantry which really tasted spectacular!


No comments:

Post a Comment