Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Baking??




Tell me it isn't so!  I happened to glance at the calender yesterday and realized Christmas is less than three weeks away!  I don't know about you, but I always have high hopes and good intentions for "doing it all" this time of year.  My Christmas tree went up the day after Thanksgiving.  Check and done!  Sometimes I think I do this for my cat.  That way she'll think she's an outdoor kitty for at least a few weeks.  She sits next to the manger scene under the tree for hours and keeps the wise men company after she "inspects" (tries to reach and remove) the shiny objects hanging on the tree.




Every year I feel a strong  urge to bake cookies, breads and just anything sweet!  This year I'm holding back so I can lose a few more pounds or at least not gain so much during the Holidays.  I'll be making tiramisu for Christmas dinner but I have to wait until the last minute to prepare that.  I pondered making an old recipe for pizzelles, those delicate, crunchy fried dough shapes.  Too messy!  Years ago I'd make those cookies you find in the store that you cut and bake, then frost and decorate.  Always good but, too easy!

My amaretto balls are wonderful to pop into your mouth, but I think I'm the only one who eats those....nope!  Santa likes my spice cookies with molasses in the batter...possibly.  Perhaps I'll come up with a new Christmas version of biscotti.......or mini turnover cookies using fig jam and some with nutella!  Last year, I was feeling rather ambitious when I made cannoli.   Not so, this year!


Santa's spice cookies

Snickerdoodles

Italian brunch bread

What do you make for Christmas cookies?  I'd love to hear your thoughts....  All I know is that I'll be designating 3-4 days before Christmas to do most of my baking.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment