Thursday, August 23, 2012

Peach Dumpling Cake



Sometimes I get carried away at the Farmer's Market.  It's as if I morph into a starving person in the buffet line!   All the pretty fruits are displayed beautifully and as you walk by, if the vendor is smart, you'll be offered a sample.  That usually clinches the deal.  Last week, I walked away with peaches, nectarines, strawberries, butter lettuce, yellow squash, lemon cucumber, large tomatoes,  concord grapes and plums.   This week as they quickly ripen, I'm looking for ways to "finish" them off!  We can't seem to eat them quickly enough!

Even though Summer is hanging on, I feel the crisp Fall air in the mornings and realize I'll soon be making the cobblers, soups and stews of harvest time.  But nothing is written in stone in the cooking world, so I baked a peach dumpling cake which was devoured in record time!  It's a variation of my pear dumpling cake and if you ask me, the peach cake wins!  Try them both and you be the judge.

Ingredients

1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter can be used)

dusting of flour

2-3 peaches, peeled cored and sliced  NOTE:  Leave 1/3 of the peaches in slices and chop the remainder.

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/8 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups flour

1  Tbsp cinnamon

a sprinkle of sugar for the top

1 Tbsp chopped nuts (I like pecans) for the topping

 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 9 inch round pan by greasing with coconut oil and dusting with a bit of flour., shaking out the excess.  In a bowl blend the eggs, sugar, milk and salt.   Add flour and most of the cinnamon into the sugar mixture, blend and then add the chopped peaches.   Pour into the pan.  Arrange the sliced peaches into a spoked wheel pattern.  Sprinkle with sugar, pecans and a bit of cinnamon.  Bake for about 55 minutes.  Cool and serve.  If your grandma ever made peach dumplings as mine did, this is the best and easiest substitute I've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment