Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Best Ever Homemade Power Bars


As mentioned in the previous post, these power bars are the best I've ever tasted and no baking involved!  The inspiration came from a cookbook my almost daughter-in-law loaned me called Super Natural Cooking.   It's all about incorporating whole and natural ingredients when cooking.  I got a little creative with some of the ingredients where I could, but why change a good thing.

I made the power bars for our recent road trip to the coast and they were the perfect snack instead of the traditional "road trip Cheetos".   Chock full of nuts, fruit, ginger bits and chocolate...you'll love them, too!  I recommend buying most of the nuts, oats, raisins, etc. in bulk.  It's much more inexpensive and you'll have a bunch on hand to whip these up.  You'll want a second batch!

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1 1/4 cup rolled oats

1 1/4 cup nuts (I used 1/2 c chopped hazelnuts, 1/2 c pecans and 1/4 cup chopped almonds)

1/2 cup oat bran

1 1/2 cup crisp brown rice cereal

1 cup chopped raisins or flavored craisins (I used 1/2 mini chocolate chips and 1/2 cup blueberry craisins)

3 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger

1 cup brown rice syrup

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup cane sugar (I used vegan cane sugar)

1/2 tsp salt

Grease a 9x13 pan with the coconut oil.  In a large bowl combine the next 6 listed ingredients, thru ginger bits.  Mix well and set aside.  In a small pan add the brown rice syrup, vanilla, sugar and salt.  Bring to a slow boil, stirring and reduce heat and cook for about 4 minutes.  Add this to the dry oat/nut mixture.  Stir until well blended.  Pour into the 9x13 pan and press down with moistened (wet) hands or spatula.  Cool to room temperature.  No baking.  When cool, cut into bars.  This recipe makes about 16-24 bars.  They can be refrigerated for future use or covered and left at room temp as long as it's not too warm.  Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment