Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sea Scallops with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


I very rarely get tired of eating seafood.  To have such a love for fish or seafood, for me, much be inherent.  I know that the more I eat the more weight I drop.  Maybe it's because it's one of the best sources of protein, or maybe it's my body type or blood type that determines how "agreeable" it is to me.  I'm quite familiar with all those books and diet plans...(Eat this and not that, the 7-day, 10 day or 17 day diet, Southampton, Palm Beach, etc, etc.)  It's enough to make you crazy!

  I  regret that I don't live closer to the ocean where FRESH fish is more plentiful...but, there's still time!  At least 6 months out of the year in a more tropical setting would be ideal!  I need to work on that...Any ideas...writing or travel assignments, cooking classes in the tropics,  perhaps??

This recipe came about as I was on my current eating plan.  Yes, I'm still watching it, except for Thanksgiving when everyone watched me shovel it in!  Including pumpkin pie, no whipped cream.   The next few days I reverted back to square one and lost it all, so that one gluttonous day was worth it!

If you like seafood, try this one.  Scallops are so simple to cook and you can adorn them with creative sauces like this roasted red pepper one.

 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and seeds removed (I like to roast my own instead of bottled)

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth

dash of sea salt

dash of sugar

dash of crushed, dried rosemary (optional)

1 Tbsp Fat Free half & half
 (If weight isn't a challenge, by all means use regular or heavy cream!)

Add all ingredients to a small saucepan.  Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring.  Put the mix into a blender and puree.  Serve immediately or return to pan and keep on low until ready to serve.

The scallops only take about 4 minutes to cook.  The secret is to buy the large dry sea scallops.  Wash and dry with a paper towel.  Heat the saute pan to high heat, to the point of it beginning to smoke.  Quickly add  a small amount of butter, followed by the scallops.  They will begin to sear and caramelize on one side.  Don't turn them for 2 minutes.  Turn and continue for another 2 minutes.  Put onto a serving platter and drizzle the red pepper sauce on or around it.  Very yummy and sinfully simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment