Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Fudge and Baking with Mom


If I'm not traveling, the next best place I'd like to be is in the kitchen, especially when it involves chocolate!  What makes it even more special is baking with my mom.  There is always time to do that, so when she called, I arrived ready, eager and willing to make that silky chocolate decadence, fudge.  The kind that melts in your mouth.  Good thing she only makes it around Christmas or this girl would be a happy blimp!

My mother has made this almost every year, for as long as I can remember, and this time I wanted to help out.  I had no idea it was so simple.  On the other hand (no pun intended) my dad usually makes his Czech bread.  Since he'll be "on the mend" from carpal tunnel surgery, today, I MAY bake a similar recipe of Italian Bread.  We'll see...  Until then, make this "fantasy fudge" for Santa or your family.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter

3 cups sugar

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk

1  12 oz package of semi sweet chocolate chips

1   7 oz jar of marshmallow

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)  We made both!

Combine the sugar, butter and milk in a 2-3 qt saucepan, stirring constantly until it starts to boil.  Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, vanilla and marshmallow.  Mix well.  If you're using nuts, add them.  You can put in a greased (with margarine or butter) 9x9 glass pan, for thicker fudge.  Or you can use a 13x9 pan for thinner.  Cover and chill until firm and cut into squares.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment