Friday, December 16, 2011

Quilt-Free Fruited Truffles


It appears as if I never do any baking.  The fact is I don't produce enough baked goodies to become good at it.  I try.  But, another reason you don't see many decadent treats on this blog is because I'll  have to eat them.  Someone has to do it! 

Last week my first Christmas cookies slid out of the oven.  They're gone!   I followed a recipe from a book I just finished, "The Christmas Cookie Club", by Ann Pearlman.  It's worth the read.  Instead of shelving it, I chose to make a few of the cookies, the molasses ginger crisps (they were amazing) and the fruited candies (similar to my amaretto balls, but without the guilt).  I changed some of the ingredients (of course) and this is what I came up with.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 cup each of raisins, dates and prunes.  (I used 3/4 cup golden raisins and 1/4 cup regular raisins...I ran out)

1 cup walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)

1/2 cup crystallized ginger

1 Tbsp amaretto

For rolling, I used confectioners sugar and  cocoa.

In a food processor, combine the fruit, nuts and ginger.  Pulse until well blended and the mixture comes together (in a big clump)  Add the amaretto (optional) and pulse to mix in.  With wet hands make walnut size balls.  Roll into the topping of sugar or cocoa.  Refrigerate for later.  Makes approximately 36.

NOTE: If you or children are allergic, you may want to try crushed vanilla wafers instead of nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment