Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fish Tacos Anyone?


Yesterday was gorgeous!  Even though March can be extremely fickle around the Sierras, it warmed up nicely.  It will be time, soon, to start making those lighter dishes instead of all the soups and comforting stews of the Winter.  Hooray!

Fish tacos with fresh mango

Growing up in Southern California I experienced some of the best Mexican food available north of the border.  My mom and dad would load us kids into the car and make a trip into the next city for authentic Mexican food.  We'd arrive at Arturo's and invariably we would have to wait for a table.  It must have been inexpensive because we'd go there quite often.

When I moved to the O.C. where I met my husband we found a Mexican restaurant in Fullerton equally as good and the wait was even longer.  Of course, one of the reasons we left Southern California was because of the "waiting in lines" everywhere you went!
The name always slips my mind but it was Sonoran influence Mexican food.   Their enchiladas were amazing, as was the service.

In Reno, there are several Mexican restaurants, but not all of them are worth mentioning.  I've found the "best" chili relleno, however I'm still searching for the best fish taco!   Fresh fish is sometimes hard to find in this landlocked enclave.  Would I need to go south of the border to find one?   Hmm....maybe.  Until then, I made some pineapple salsa to go with those tacos or fresh grilled seafood.


Pineapple salsa with salmon

Ingredients:

1 cup cut up pineapple
1/4 c chopped onion
1 tsp minced jalapeno
1/4 c chopped cucumber (optional)
1/2 c tomato, chopped
squeeze of lime
1 T chopped cilantro, fresh

Mix all of the above, chill (the longer, the better) and serve on your fish taco, seafood or cheesy nachos and guacamole!

1 comment:

  1. I am drooling! This looks delicious and I love Mexican!

    ReplyDelete