Monday, December 6, 2010

Steamed Mussels, Wine, Bread and Thou!


Once again, if it's Friday, we must have fish! If you grew up Catholic you know what I mean! But, instead of a negative it has turned out to be a pleasurable treat in our home. I've had good mussels and I have had some terrible ones at restaurants around town. I've learned my lesson not to order mussels during certain times of the year. I've heard they should only be eaten in the months ending in BER, as in December. Or so they say...


So, I found myself wandering the aisles in the grocery store once again trying to figure out something different for Friday's meal. I standoffishly viewed the meat area and decided against beef or chicken. This is easy for me. The mussels looked good and the price was right. I purchased about 2 lbs for $7.18. You can't get an appetizer serving for that amount! With this "bounty" I prepared the following:


2 lbs rinsed and scrubbed mussels. Do not use any broken or open ones!

2 T olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1 T dried thyme (fresh sprigs could be used)

1/2 cup white wine

1 c chicken broth

1 lemon, juiced

red pepper flakes (optional)

1 tomato, diced

1 handful chopped parsley

2 T butter


Place oil into a large stockpot. Saute with onion, thyme, garlic. Add mussels and stir. Add the wine, broth, pepper flakes and lemon juice.. Cover the pot and steam for about 5 minutes. When the mussels open add the tomato, butter and parsley. Only cook for another minute or so. Serve with some basic bruschetta or a loaf of bread and wine. This could easily be served over fettuccine, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment