Sunday, December 12, 2010

Salute! Cheers! Homemade Amaretto


Get out the glasses and throw away the still! This is a recipe worth trying just for the fun of it. I'll begin my annual Christmas baking this week. Included in this year's lineup will be a ricotta quick break, cannoli pie, perhaps a pumpkin ginger bar, toffee, cookies and homemade amaretto! Can someone come over and eat this stuff?!!


While most of these recipes are tried and true, it was my first try making homemade amaretto, that wonderful sweet Italian liqueur. I've always wanted to make it from scratch. (The waiting is the hardest part.) A few years ago I made Kahlua and Irish cream for Christmas gifts and they were much appreciated. Whatever you have left over can go into the all time "most hits" blog about my amaretto cake. It goes well over ice cream and easily into a cup of hot chocolate or coffee, too!


Amaretto


1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

3 T water

1 3/4 c vodka

2 T almond extract

2 T vanilla extract


Mix the sugars and water together and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool. ( I need to mention a glitch. I let it cool for too long and it turned to a brick consistency. If that happens, reheat to liquefy again. Learn from my mistake!) Add the vodka, and extracts and mix until smooth. Pour into a decorative bottle, seal and place it in a dark pantry or shelf for at least a week. I almost forgot it was there! ALMOST! Makes about 3-4 cups of amber goodness. Salute!

1 comment:

  1. My mom loves amaretto. Perhaps I will make it for her as a present for Christmas. It looks very festive.

    ReplyDelete