Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Perfect Day in Paradise










When I think about the perfect day, I have always wondered what it would involve. I experienced that flawless day recently on my trip to Costa Rica. It began with an early morning rise as I quietly slithered out of bed to take a nature walk of sorts and snap pictures of my glorious surroundings. I almost envisioned myself in the garden of Eden as I photographed pictures of hummingbirds, orchids, volcanoes and all the beauty around me. The sights, smells and sounds were amazing and very peaceful. The light is so majestic in the early morning!
Back at our private jungle bungalow I took yet another shower in my outdoor rain forest-like shower. I need one of those at home!




After a light breakfast I had booked a spa appointment for a hot stone massage. The treatment room was an open air treetop area which overlooked the jungle beyond. Needless to say, I was one with nature and totally relaxed for well over an hour. It just doesn't get any better than that. I thought! But, as the day unfolded, I found myself on a van ride to the canopy tour of a lifetime. Yes,. this was on my bucket list! I didn't know how I was going to pull this off. I had a real problem with heights and a few medical challenges that could prove disastrous. Going on the elevator at Barnes and Noble was a stretch for me. My knees usually buckled as I got closer and closer to the edge of the 2nd floor area.





A bunch of us from the van were met by our guides who fitted us with helmets (like they would help if we fell into a jungle crevasse) and an attractive harness outfit! Later when we reached the top of the tram ride and the starting point, I kept thinking, "What did I get myself into?". But, it happened so fast I didn't have time to be afraid for my life! It was so exhilarating I soon forgot to be scared! I was able to cross this activity off my bucket list and wanted more!




When all was said and done, I kept thinking that "today was one of the best days of my life" and I was truly thankful for that experience! The only change I would have made was that I should have had that hot stone massage scheduled after the zip line tour! Next time! One of my favorite sayings is: Life is not measured by how many breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away. That pretty much summed it up.




Okay, and because this is primarily a food blog I'm sure I had a great meal that night but the day's activities sure eclipsed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment