Monday, December 15, 2014

Dark Chocolate Biscotti with White Chocolate Chips



Every year I try to add a unique cookie recipe to my Christmas cookie baking.  If they turn out as planned I keep them in the line up for the following year.    Frangipane tartletts were last year's creations and they aren't going anywhere.  They are definite "keepers" or "eaters".  As I paged through a small Italian cookie cookbook, I found a few I might experiment with this year.  But, since I had all the ingredients for these biscotti, I figured why not get busy honing my biscotti making skills.  You never know when I might need to make more and more of them for different events!

Dark Chocolate Biscotti with White Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1/4 pound butter, softened

3/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp amaretto (or any coffee liqueur)

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1/2 cup extra dark cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 white chocolate chips

Using an electric mixer (or kitchen aid stand up mixer) beat butter, sugar and liqueur.  Add the eggs and blend well.

Gradually add the flour, cocoa and baking powder on low speed.  Add the chocolate chips, mix well and divide into two "loaves" 10-12 inches long and about 2-3 inches wide.  Place onto a parchment covered cookie sheet pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.

I don't like a hard biscotti so this is where it all ends.  To twice bake them, let them cool a bit, slice into 1/2 inch pieces and place them back onto the cookie sheet on their sides.  Bake for an additional 12 minutes, or so.  Keep in an airtight container.

If you don't choose the twice bake version, you will get a biscotti that is crispy on the outside but chewy in the middle.    The recipe makes about 40-50.

No comments:

Post a Comment