Saturday, October 18, 2014

Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas


Have you ever gone out for a meal and later lived to regret it.  As I laid in bed the other night, tossing and turning, I knew I had crossed the line.  I love Mexican food, but sometimes it doesn't love me back!  Too much salt and fat for this girl.  Whenever the urge for Mexican food arises I try to make better choices.  This was one of those better home made choices.

Meatless meals are not only healthier (for me) this one was a snap to prepare.

Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas

6-7 soft taco size tortillas.  I used multi grain but I usually prefer flour or white corn tortillas

1 can of low sodium black beans, rinsed well

1/2 cup frozen corn kernels

1/3 cup chopped onions (I used red onions)

1 small can of black olives

1 small can green chili enchilada sauce

about 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)

3/4 - 1 cup grated jack cheese (I used reduced fat)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a pan add the beans, corn, onions, olives and 2 Tbsp of the green chili sauce.  Mix well and heat on medium for a few minutes.  Add the cilantro, if using.  

In a glass pan (11 x 7 size) pour about 1/2 cup of the green chili sauce.  Lay out one tortilla and put a bit of filling in the middle, fold over each side and place into the glass pan, seam side down.  Repeat, until you can't fit any more (about 6-7)  Pour the remaining (or just enough to barely cover tortillas) sauce over the top.  If there is any filling left over you can sprinkle that on top also.  If there's cheese left, use that on top, too.  Cover with foil and cook in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.  Uncover and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes.

Garnish with guacamole, shredded cabbage or sour cream.  Do what you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment