Monday, June 10, 2013

Pesto Edamame Tortellini Salad



Looking for a Summer salad that's a little bit of Asian Italian fusion?  This hits the target!  A few weeks ago hubby and I went salad tasting at the local store.  We were actually trying to find a cold salad that could supplement a wedding brunch menu for the already planned wedding that's happening in , count them........33 days!  I'm not sure, yet, whether I'll be making from scratch or ordering it, but I wanted to make some crucial changes.  The original had peas in it.

You see, this girl does not eat her peas...they don't go down very well, never have.  As a matter of fact, my sister and I used to feed the peas to our dog, Laddie, under the table.   Laddie loved peas or anything else we'd sneak to her.  At the time, we thought we were "home free"....no peas for us.  We thought we were sooo smart!    My parents were VERY aware of what was being done under the table.  Our punishment......eat more peas and couldn't leave the table until they were gone.  Those peas packed a powerful punch (and memory).

Needless to say, I substituted edamame for peas.  Wise choice on my part.  I'll definitely prepare this salad again with a few more additions, but this was the first "draft".

Edamame Pesto Tortellini

1/2 cup precooked and shelled edamame beans, cooled

1 package of 4 cheese store bought tortellini, (you've seen that green packaging)

zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

1 Tbsp mayo or plain yogurt

1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped

1 1/2 Tbsp prepared pesto

2 Tbsp chopped walnuts

1 Tbsp olive oil + some at the end

Cook the pasta according to directions and drain.  Put all the remaining ingredients into a large bowl.  Mix well and salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate until well chilled.  Then serve.  Delicious!!

NOTE: For more crunch you can wait to add the walnuts until right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment