Thursday, May 10, 2012

Blueberry Raspberry Cinnamon Cake



A few years ago I wanted to try my hand at berry growing.  I went to the local home/gardening store and picked up a small black raspberry bush and half jokingly planted it in a sunny corner of my yard.  The first year the yield was not too good.  Then, it became "established" and started to thrive.  After learning the ins and outs of proper pruning, I can depend on a nice crop of berries. 

Last year they all seemed to ripen at the same time, right around the time my kitchen was being remodeled.  I quickly packaged and froze a few batches to put into recipes later on.  That "later on" arrived this last week when I made this berry cake laced with cinnamon. 

The only thing I would change on this would be to remove the annoying seeds by mashing and pressing the berries through a sieve first.  Can't wait to try that with this year's crop!  If you can't handle the seeds, just use all blueberries!

Ingredients

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/8 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup flour (I used cake flour)

1 Tbsp cinnamon

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

1 cup black or red raspberries, fresh or frozen

a sprinkle of baker's sugar (for topping)

1 Tbsp chopped pecans, optional for topping

a few "dots" of butter

Butter and flour a 9 inch round pan.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl blend the eggs, sugar, milk and salt.  Add the flour, cinnamon and fold in most of the berries.  Save some for topping.  Pour into the pan, add the extra berries, dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar and a little more cinnamon if you want.  Bake for about 55 minutes, until done.  Cool and serve.  Great snacking or brunch cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment