Monday, December 12, 2016

Hiking Around Reno/Tahoe #10 Sagehen Creek Trail



At the beginning of Summer, as I may have mentioned before, I purchased a book describing most of the hiking trails throughout the Reno/Tahoe area.  I've been using it as a guide since my first hike of the season, "the dreaded Church's Pond episode"!   I learned very quickly what the term "This hike is classified as strenuous" means.  It's a combination of altitude, narrowness of trail,  how many feet the actual climb is (such as you gain 2000 ft).  I also have my gauges.  I look for forested or shady trails.  I like to go the distance rather than start climbing right out of the chute.  I prefer to be near a water source; I'm not into desert hiking AT ALL!

So, with that in mind, the Sagehen Creek trail was almost perfect except it didn't have much uphill climbing.  It was a serene walk in the park.  The trail was mostly narrow, single file even, nicely shaded and scenic.  Only one part comes to mind that could have been a negative.  A clearing of dry grass looking a bit like the Serengeti.  But, after you trudged past this sparsely treed area the view opened up to the distant Stampede reservoir.


Looks like swampland

Serengeti

Stampede reservoir in the distance

Beautiful meadows



The trailhead has limited parking off highway 89 (North).   As you leave Truckee, California go about 7 miles or so to reach it.  It may be worth mentioning that I probably wouldn't hike it in Spring or early Summer.  Mosquitoes and an assortment of other bugs could be a real problem.  This trail was an easy jaunt, just under 5 miles.

I would do this again without hesitation, maybe packing a picnic lunch, a blanket and a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment