Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cream of Zucchini Soup




By now those of you who planted a garden have been in the "harvest mode" and you're wondering what to do with all your bounty.  I think this year my zucchini harvest will go down in history and into the record books.  And I don't even want to mention the prolific tomato harvest, yet!  I've given quite a bit away to friends, neighbors and family, but I don't seem to be putting a dent in the zucchini!  I've made almost everything imaginable, except a pure and simple zucchini soup.  Here goes...

Cream of Zucchini Soup

3 medium size zucchini, chopped

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, chopped

32 oz. of veggie or chicken broth

1 tsp herb de Provence

Place all of the above ingredients into a large pot, bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes.  Puree in a blender (cover the blender top with a towel and puree in batches to avoid overflow)   Then, return the soup to the pot.  At this point I refrigerated until dinner time.  The flavors just get better, too.  Reheat, and season with salt and pepper.  To make it "creamy" I added 2 Tbsp of fat free sour cream or yogurt cheese which is plain yogurt that has been strained in a coffee filter overnight.  The consistency is thick and not as tart.  

It serves about 4 and would be even better with the addition of rustic home made croutons.




No comments:

Post a Comment