Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Almond Crusted Baked Halibut


I really miss the days gone by when I lived on the ocean.  I love the beach, eating fresh fish (there is a difference) and that salt air that allows me to breathe better and use less lotion.  But, I live in the high desert, for now!    The last time I had halibut was when my son flew it home from Vancouver, BC, Canada.  Delicious!

I knew it wouldn't come close to being that fresh, but I purchased some halibut for the hell of it!  I had a craving I had to oblige.  The weather outside wasn't cooperating for a barbecue and I don't like to cook fish on the stove top...the smell lingers for hours, if not, days.  On my recent "eating plan" I can have a few handfuls of nuts.    Almond crusted halibut coming up!  Keep in mind that this is a lower calorie meal so ...no butter.

Almond Crusted Baked Halibut

For a serving for two I bought about a 5 inch piece.  I have no measurements.   Use enough chopped almonds or any other kind of nut  to cover the fish surface.  

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wash and pat dry the halibut.  Season the fish with salt and pepper.  I also used paprika but with no noticeable taste.  Spray a baking dish or use a bit of olive oil.  Put the fish in, skin side down.  Apply the coarsely chopped almonds and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.  Butter can be used if you're more fortunate to be svelte.  Cook until done, usually 15 minutes, depending on the thickness.

Serve with tartar sauce or on top of veggies and brown rice like I did.   


No comments:

Post a Comment