Thursday, February 7, 2013

Basil Ranch Salad Dressing


I am so inspired by other cooks whether at their restaurant or on a TV show.  If I happen to have a great meal,  I'll take mental notes on what ingredients I'm tasting and inevitably return home to duplicate it.  If that doesn't work, I'll keep tweaking the recipe until "perfection".  It's just a little game I play.

One of those experiments was a basil ranch salad dressing that was on an Italian Cobb salad  from our favorite Italian Cafe.  The attempt produced a creamy richness with a hint of lemon that went beautifully with the basil flavor.  I'll be making this again.  And I tweak my own recipes, so, I may use Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise to lighten it up.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Basil Ranch Salad Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream, I used fat free

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup milk

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp garlic powder

3 Tbsp chopped basil

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.  You may have to scrape the sides at first since it will be a very creamy and thick consistency.  Delicious and much better than the store bought kind, in my opinion.

NOTE: Make the dressing and refrigerate for at least an hour so the flavors intensify. 

NOTE to self:  A clear salad bowl is not a good choice for food photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment