Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dutch Baby Pancake for Momma!


Last Sunday, Mother's Day I rose early.  Not much sleeping in when a cat is in the house!  I decided to fix myself and hubby, of course, a special breakfast.  Most mornings start with coffee and cereal for him and usually an egg or egg white with fruit for me.   On Sundays years ago when my son was small we'd have pancakes or french toast! 

This recipe for a dutch baby pancake was so easy it's scary.  Just mix it all and throw it in the oven, but what a special treat!  Now, I've never claimed to be a morning person and this morning I proved that!  Instead of the "required"  3 eggs I only cracked open two, spaced out a bit and continued with the ingredients!   Should have had more coffee.  The results were still quite good.  It was more of a custard instead of a light pancake. 

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp butter

3 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

zest of half a lemon

3/4 cup flour

a dash of cinnamon

1 cup of partially frozen blueberries


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Put the butter into a 10-12 inch oven proof skillet.  A cast iron one is perfect.  Put the pan in the oven while making the batter.

In a blender combine the eggs, milk, salt, vanilla, and zestThen add the flour, and cinnamon and mix.  Take the pan from the oven and pour the batter into it.  Sprinkle the berries on top and bake until puffed.  Around 12-15 minutes.

Garnish with powdered sugar, a dab of butter and syrup.    This is a baby a mother could love!!

such a pretty baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment