Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Kid on the Block - Kale


Since I began writing, this blog has brought me and my palate to many places.  As I browse the grocery isles these days, I'm always on the hunt for a new "victim", that is, a new fruit or veggie I've never cooked with.  I have a long way to go in this world of different cuisines.  I like to think of myself as a milder version of  that guy on Bizarre Foods.  No, I won't be eating deep fried hissing coach roaches, ever!  But, I do like to have a huge variety in my food repertoire.

Last week I brought home a bunch of kale, not sure what I'd do with it at the time.  It was a deep forest green and just looking at it made me feel healthier!   It has its origins dating back before the middle ages and is loaded with anti cancer properties, vitamin K, C, lutein and calcium.  Sure, I'd give it a try! 

Although it has the appearance of spinach or chard, its closest relative is black cabbage, a Tuscan staple.  In this recipe I treated it like spinach.  Most of the articles I  had read about kale indicated that it could be bitter, but I'd fix that.  Add raisins!  So, here it is in its glory, my rendition of "Hail to the Kale".

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale, cleaned and chopped.

1-2 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup water

2 handfuls raisins

a dash of sea salt

1 Tbsp butter

more oil for drizzling at the end.

2 Tbsp pine nuts

In a large (5 qt.) pot place the oil, water and kale in.  Bring it to a boil, adding the raisins, a dash of salt and stir.  Reduce the heat to simmer and slightly (not tightly) cover, stirring occasionally until the kale becomes fairly limp, but still has a bit of crunch.  At the last minute add the butter and sprinkle with pine nuts and maybe a drizzle of olive oil.   Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment