Friday, July 29, 2011

Multigrain Prune Muffins


As I may have mentioned, we are gearing up for a kitchen face lift/remodelThe great thing is I'll have a wonderful "new" kitchen.  The not so pleasant thing is that I need to go through every cupboard to either purge, donate, sell or keep.  The task has been daunting only because I choose to be organized about it.  Or I think I'm organized.  Organized chaos, maybe.

We built our home over 24 years ago.  My kitchen , to me, is extremely functional, so that's not the issue.  Mainly, I'll be getting new appliances, (except for my awesome double oven)  new flooring, and beautiful granite slab counter tops.  I can't wait for the transformation.  But, like the butterfly, it must go through a metamorphosis,  first.  So, back to removing every bit of 24 year's worth of accumulation, plus 5 "junk" drawers.  How did this happen?  Where did all this STUFF come from?   Will I ever use it again?  Have I even used it once at all?

I'm down to the bare necessities, pots, pans, glasses, cups, utensils, dishes,  etc.  Should I toss the rest?  Tempting, at this point!   No, I take a bake break!   I found some prunes in the pantry, well within the expiration date.  (I also have to remove the two bottom shelves of STUFF in my pantry!)  I found this recipe from an old Cooking Light magazine, (stuffed into one of those "junk" drawers!)   I subscribed to it over 17 years ago.  It worked beautifully with a few revisions.  Don't let the ingredients scare you, especially the prunes.  They add a fruity moistness to the muffins.

Multi Grain Prune Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 c whole wheat flour

1/2 c oats, uncooked

1/3 c sugar

1/4 c cornmeal

1/8 c flax seed meal

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup prunes, pitted and chopped

1 c low fat yogurt, honey or vanilla flavored

3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil

1 egg, lightly beaten

cooking spray

Combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl.  Combine the prunes and next 3 ingredients in another bowl, stirring well.  Add to the dry ingredients.  The mixture will be very thick and sticky.

Coat a muffin tin (12 slots) with cooking spray.  Spoon mix into tin and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Enjoy as a snack or quick breakfast with fruit.  Lots of fiber in these!

I'll keep you posted on the remodel.  Phase I - Demolition starts Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment