Saturday, July 31, 2010

Squash Blossom Scramble


Did you know that these beautiful golden flowers perched onto the end of a zucchini are edible? I remember reading about these blossoms in several of my Italian travel memoirs. Most cooks would stuff them with cheese and proceed to fry them. Yum, yum... But one of the best ways to enjoy their sweet fresh flavor is to simply scramble them with eggs!


My grandfather, who died when I was 2 years old, would take sliced okra (not Oprah) from his garden and mix them with eggs. So, as the story goes, my dad made okra and eggs as I was growing up. I thought everyone had those strange bullet shaped veggies with their eggs! And now they are fashionable! I tried the okra thing on my husband but found that he enjoyed his eggs more with squash blossoms, instead.


So, for all of you who have an abundance of blossoms, pick them early in the morning and scramble away! Everyone has their own recipe for eggs. All I do is saute cut up blossoms in a small amount of butter and then add egg mixture which has a little parmesan, salt and pepper and a dash of half & half in it. Note: If you don't have blossoms you can substitute thinly sliced zucchini. Just another way to use up (get rid of) the prolific zucchini!


No comments:

Post a Comment